Ahead of today’s planned protest tagged #OccupyLekkiProtest at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos, the Federal Government has deployed policemen and over 150 men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps to maintain law and order and possibly stop the protest.
This is as some people under the aegis of #DefendLagos have also vowed to organise a counter-march against the #OccupyLekkiProtest demonstrators.
The Federal Government and the police had earlier warned youths who planned to protest at the Lekki tollgate on Saturday to have a rethink and shelve the protests.
But the young Nigerians, under the aegis of #EndSARS Season 2, vowed to defy the government’s order.
They said their action was informed by the decision of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry allowing the Lekki Concession Company to reopen the Lekki tollgate.
The NSCDC spokesperson in Lagos, Seun Abolurin, said the corps commandant in the state, Aiyeni Kolawole, had deployed intelligence and surveillance officers at the Lekki tollgate, adding that about 120 armed men of the corps had been placed on red alert.
He said, “We have enough men on the ground. We have our men on standby, although the protest has been cancelled. If we get any signal, our men are on the ground to move. About 50 of our intelligence and surveillance officers have already been deployed since Friday morning. About 120 armed personnel are on standby in case there is an emergency.”
Meanwhile the initiator of #DefendLagos, Alabi Oladimeji, says the group has suspended its counter-protest expected to hold at the #Lekkitollgate today.
He made this known at a press conference hosted on his Facebook page, noting that the suspension was necessitated by the assurances of the federal and state governments that no protest would be allowed to hold.
Two opposing camps – #OccupyLekkiTollGate and #DefendLagos had planned to hold separate protests in Lagos State on Saturday.
Oladimeji, however, warned that #DefendLagos would organise a “huge” protest if the security operatives allowed the #OccupyLekkiTollgate campaigners to hold their planned protest.
He said, “No protest from #DefendLagos on Saturday (today). We are simultaneously respecting the state and federal governments.
“I am proud to announce that for the main time, we will be pending this protest due to the law of the Federal and state governments. We are law-abiding and good citizens, definitely, we should not be the ones seen disobeying any law.
“If Lagos and FG fail us, we will come out huge and protest on Monday.”