A boy of about 24 years old, Emma Agwa, was alleged to have been electrocuted while playing ball with his mates at Court road/Obianwu street junction, Onitsha North Local Government Area, Anambra state.
The deceased, who hailed from Nkanu in Enugu state, but lived with the mother in Onitsha after the death of his father, went to pick the ball that went off the playing arena into a gutter, when the incident happened.
“It was on the process of collecting the ball that he touched an iron bar used for flower bed, that Enugu Electric Distribution Company, EEDC, live cable fell upon, and he was instantly electrocuted” said one of his colleagues who pleaded anonymity.
“We then used a dried wood to remove the body from the iron bar to avoid being electrocuted also”.
“EEDC had on the previous day cut off electric cables of some debtor houses and took away the cut off cables but in this case they only cut off the cable from the house but did not cut it from the electric pole and the cable fell on top of flower bed iron bar near the gutter and the boy leaned on it in a bid to pick the ball and became stone dead instantly”
“Few minutes after he was electrocuted, EEDC officials stormed the scene and removed the wire but it was medicine after death” he further stated.
The shocking untimely death of the victim, described as a local musician and lover of traditional activities, has since the occurance of the incident early this week, kept the vicinity and its residents on mourning mood.
In the words of a resident who simply identified himself as Emeka, “this is what we are seeing because we want light from EEDC. They are the umpire, who they like they give light but we can not accept killing us, instead let them take their light” he fumed.
“This boy who lived with his mother because the father is late, was admired by everybody” he further said.
The corpse of the deceased has purportedly been taken to his country home, Nkanu, Enugu state for burial.