CCTV footage shows Garki Hospital promptly treated Abuja corps member shot by policeman

CCTV footage from Garki Hospital, Abuja, has shown that Nkechi Igwetu, the National Youth Service Corps member shot by a police officer in Abuja on July 4th, was taken in for treatment almost immediately she arrived the hospital premises, Premium Times reports.

This new development is contary to initial claims made by friends of the deceased that the hospital autorities rejected her even when a police officer was present.

The hospital CCTV camera showed that Ms. Igwetu arrived Garki Hospital at about 3am. On arrival, someone ran out of the car into the building and met two people, identified as a nurse and a doctor on duty by the communications officer. By 3:13 a.m., the doctor took her gloves and went outside to look at the situation.

Although the activity outside the building was not very clear as the car had its headlights on, footage from inside the building showed that the same person who went out, came back into the building within a minute and by 3:14 a.m., followed by a nurse, took out a stretcher.

By 3:15 a.m., accompanied by the nurse and two men, the doctor returned into the building with a patient on the stretcher. The stretcher was immediately moved into a room identified as the Trauma Room in the accidents and emergency arm of the hospital.

Between 3:16 a.m. and 3:19 a.m., the doctor and some nurses kept rushing in and out, carrying equipment into the Trauma Room.

Also, one of the two men who accompanied the patient to the hospital, entered into the Trauma Room at about 3:17 a.m. and was there a while until he came out and left the building with the other man.

CCTV footage shows Garki Hospital promptly treated Abuja corps member shot by policeman

During this period, there were no police officers at the scene.

At 3:21 a.m., the CCTV footage showed two policemen whom the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the hospital, Lawrence Laabe, identified as officers stationed in the hospital, accompanying the two men back into the hospital.

One of the men went into the Trauma Room briefly, came out and then left the building.

Within the same minute, the CCTV footage outside the building, showed that the two men, who accompanied the victim to the hospital, were outside with the police officers stationed at the hospital, discussing.

By 3:26 a.m., the woman identified by the communications officer as the doctor was still in the Trauma Room. She came out briefly at about 3.29 a.m., and two other women also identified by the communications officer as doctors came into the room as well.

The footage within the accidents and emergency unit of the building was limited to the corridor as activities within the Trauma Room were not covered.

Although the footage showed that at least three medical personnel were inside the Trauma Room since the patient arrived (some came out to pick things and went back in almost immediately), PREMIUM TIMES cannot tell what exactly happened within the room.

The footage also showed that external police officers arrived the hospital at 4 a.m. in a white pickup and entered the building at 4:05 a.m. to have discussions with the men and the first doctor who attended to the patient.

After watching the footage for about an hour and 20 minutes, our reporter was taken to the Trauma Room to see what it looked like.

The room is equipped with emergency tools and a number of beds. Altogether, about eight beds were in the accidents and emergency unit of the hospital.

In the official statement of the hospital released on Thursday, it was said that Ms. Igwetu was brought in to the hospital in a precarious state.

Mrs. Imagbenikaro also told our reporter that the deceased did not pass on until after all efforts had been made to save her life three hours after she was brought in.

On Friday, the police announced the arrest and dismissal of the policeman who allegedly killed Ms Igwetu. She was shot close to Cedi Plaza in Central Area, Abuja, at about 3:00 a.m.

According to the sister of the deceased, Chinenye Igwetu, Nkechi was heading out to a party on Wednesday morning with her male friends when officers opened fire on the vehicle they were riding in, leaving her critically wounded.

When giving their side of the story, the police commissioner, Sadiq Bello, said “It was alleged that the lady, one Angela Igwetu stood up and brought out her head through the sunroof of a Toyota Camry car shouting and calling for help that she was kidnapped.”

Kindly share this story

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.