They were kidnapped in the small town of Vryheid in the eastern KwaZulu-Natal province, Ramovha said. Police were still investigating why they had travelled there.
“The couple are still missing at this stage. No ransom has been demanded. Our investigation so far has not revealed any links to terrorists, let alone ISIL,” Ramovha said, using an acronym for Islamic State.
“Besides that, South Africa has measures to counter terrorist threats. We are more than ready to deal with such.”
“The car the couple was driving in was found yesterday (Wednesday), and is now undergoing forensic tests,” he said.
The couple, a 74-year-old man who moved from Britain to South Africa in the 1970s and his South African-born wife, 63, both have British and South African nationalities.