US Army veteran in custody over killing of 5 at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Police in Florida have questioned a suspected gunman after five people were killed and eight injured in a shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2.

The suspect has been identified by police as 26-year-old Esteban Santiago, an Iraq war veteran.

According to reports, the suspect was known to the FBI prior to carrying out the massacre an FBI official said during a news conference Friday night.

FBI spokesman George Piro said the suspected assailant, 26-year-old Esteban Santiago, walked into an FBI office in Anchorage, Alaska, in November 2016 claiming voices in his head were telling him to join ISIS. Piro said Santiago was taken into custody by local police and sent to a medical facility for an evaluation.

Bryan Santiago, the suspect’s brother, told The Associated Press that Esteban had been receiving psychological treatment in Alaska, where he had been living since 2014. He said he did not know what his brother was being treated for.

Santiago, who was born in New Jersey but moved to Puerto Rico with his family when he was 2 years old, served in Puerto Rico’s National Guard and was deployed to Iraq in 2010, Puerto Rico’s National Guard spokesman Maj. Paul Dahlen told The Associated Press.

Santiago received a “general discharge” from the National Guard in August for “unsatisfactory performance,” a lieutenant with the Alaska National Guard told CBS.

Kindly share this story

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.