An emotional US President Barack Obama broke down in tears Tuesday recalling the 20 first-graders gunned down in the Sandy Hook school massacre.
“Every time I think about those kids, it gets me mad,” Obama said,
“The gun lobby may be holding Congress hostage right now,” he said. “But it can’t hold America hostage.”
Watch as President Obama cries over deaths from gun violence:
American is battling it’s biggest gun violence in history, as more than 30,000 Americans die from gun violence every year. President Obama is taking executive action to reduce gun violence.
Highlights of Obama’s order include:
– A rule requiring anyone selling guns to get a license, regardless of whether they sell firearms online or at gun shows. They also must conduct background checks on their customers. Currently, only federally licensed gun dealers have to conduct background checks on buyers.
– The FBI hiring more than 200 new examiners to help process background checks. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System in 2015 received more than 22.2 million background check requests, or an average of more than 63,000 per day.
– The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will have to ensure that a dealer shipping a gun is responsible for notifying law enforcement if the weapon is lost or stolen while in transit.
– A presidential memo to the departments of Defense, Homeland Security and Justice directing the agencies to research smart gun technology aimed at reducing the risk of accidental gun discharges and improving the tracing of lost or stolen firearms.
– The White House also wants $500 million in added spending to improve mental health care.
The feds are also working on a rule requiring background checks for those who try to buy sawed-off shotguns, machine guns and similar weapons through a trust, corporation or other legal entity.