Family of 5 die in house fire in Ogun

fire

Five members of the Oloruku family have died in a night fire that torched their residence at Abule Ake in Idi Aba area of Abeokuta metropolis, Ogun State.

The deceased, which include the 45-year-old husband, Michael Oloroku, his wife Elizabeth (44) and their three children – Rachael, Victoria and Esther, were charred in the inferno which source the police are still battling to unravel.

Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Muyiwa Adejobi, who spoke with journalists yesterday in Abeokuta, said the command has commenced investigation into the fire incident.

Adejobi also explained that the police are yet to get to the root of the immediate cause of the incident.

He further stated that the state Police Commissioner, Abdulmajid Ali, who sympathised with the family, has also warned residents to stop keeping inflammable materials in their houses, particularly during this dry season.

His words: “It is true, the incident happened at around 11:30 pm on Sunday and we have commenced investigation into the matter. The Commissioner of Police is particularly not happy about the incident and has commiserated with the affected family.”

It was gathered that Mr. Oloroku had been having intractable feud with his wife, Elizabeth, a staff of Federal Medical Centre, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta.

It was further learnt that Mr. Oloruku came home that night and sprayed the building with Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) popularly called petrol and set the building on fire.

He was also reportedly caught in the incident before he could escape from the scene.

While his family members reportedly died in the inferno, Michael who was later rescued died on his way to hospital.

A member of the family, who confided in journalists said there had existed within the family, serious crises which lingered until the wife was forced to pack out of her husband’s house to her own house.

Further probing revealed that the woman was the breadwinner of the family and took the decision to opt out having got wind of information that her husband was planning to bring in a new wife.

Source further had it that the wife had earlier taken a loan from her cooperative society to pay for their house rent and also secure a cab for her husband.

Michael, who was apparently dissatisfied with his wife’s decision to pack out from their home, allegedly stormed the building and set it ablaze.

National Mirror

Kindly share this story

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.