Son lived with his dad’s dead decomposing body for months, until a neighbour saw a skeleton in an armchair

Timothy Brown's home where he lived with his father
Timothy Brown’s home where he lived with his father

A man lived with his dead father for months and was only discovered when a neighbour saw a skeleton in an armchair.

Timothy Brown, placed his 94-year-old dad Kenneth in the armchair after he had a fall during a fire.

A day later, Timothy found his father dead, but left his body to decompose while continuing to live in the home instead of calling authorities.

When the neighbour visited the house on 18 October, he looked into the living room and saw Timothy sat next to his dead father’s rotting body.

Timothy had been his father’s sole carer for more than 10 years after his mother had passed away in 2004. The pair were described as reclusive and apparently had ‘hardly any visitors’.

A post mortem was unable to determine an accurate time and cause of death due to the extreme decomposition of the body, but it did reveal a number of fractures to Mr Brown’s ribs – which were put down to a fall out of bed during the fire by investigators.

DC Andrew Weatherley from Staffordshire Police told the court how Timothy, who was not at the hearing, had said he had woken in the night and seen smoke coming from his father’s room.

He had dragged him into the lounge and sat him in the armchair, DC Weatherley said.

Timothy said he woke the following day to find his father had died, he told police he did not call 999 as he could not come to terms with it.

A statement from the neighbour said: ‘The back door was open, from the kitchen I could hear the TV was on loudly in the living room. Tim was in there watching TV.

‘I spoke to Tim for a few minutes from the hall, before I opened the door fully. As I looked at the chair I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. I could see a skull, I was very shocked.’

Timothy was arrested, but after the fire service found evidence of the blaze and an investigation judged the fractures were caused by a fall, Staffordshire Police decided it was not in the public interest to prosecute him.

DC Weatherley said: ‘There was no obvious motive for him to cause the death of his father and it was decided he should not face criminal charges.’

Senior Assistant Coroner Mrs Margaret Jones said: ‘It is a very sad case indeed. His son failed to deal with his father’s death appropriately. The pair were very reclusive until the alarm was raised by a neighbour.

“It is not possible for me to conclude that this was an accident as there is one piece of the jigsaw missing.

‘Kenneth was last seen alive in April and his body was found in October but because of the decomposition of the body a cause of death cannot be ascertained.’


Kindly share this story

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.