Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State on Monday ordered that 16 top government functionaries in the state should forfeit their September and October salaries and overheads for coming late to a state event.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the functionaries came late to a debate competition organised by the government as part of activities to mark the nation’s 55th anniversary and 19th year of the state’s creation.
The functionaries included commissioners, special advisers, assistants, members of boards, local government areas caretaker committee chairmen, among others.
Others included the Principal Secretary to the Governor, Commissioner for Environment, and Commissioner for Economic Empowerment and Poverty Alleviation among others.
Umahi, who expressed dismay over the lateness of the officials, noted that the government intended to restore sanity to governance in the state.
Those affected are;
1. The newly appointed 13 local government caretaker committee chairmen
2. The 64 Development Center coordinators
3. The deputy chief of staff office to the deputy governor, Fidelix Okpata
4. The principal secretary to the governor, Clement Nweke
5. The state commissioner for environment, Moses Ogodo Ali
6. The state commissioner of economic empowerment and poverty alleviation, Sabinus Nwankwegu
7. The state commissioner of youth and sports, Charles Akpuenika
The governor also suspended salaries of some personal assistants, senior special assistants, special advisers and other government officials.
He decided to punish top officials for coming late to the debate on government anti-corruption crusade.