Career News Social Issues

Fire Guts Shopping Mall & Bank in Lagos, Goods & Properties Worth Millions of Naira Destroyed

Fire-guts-shopping-mall-bank-in-Lagos1

A shopping plaza on Broad Street on the Lagos Island area of Lagos State and a section of the Skye Bank branch in Ikeja was gutted by fire as textile materials, fashion accessories as well as properties estimated at millions of naira have been consumed in the inferno.

It was learnt that the Lagos Island fire started around 8.55am this morning after a power surge as workers at the plaza were said to have made frantic efforts to put out the fire before inviting officials of the Lagos State Fire Service and men of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.

While some traders watched helplessly as their goods burnt, others were said to have struggled to salvage their wares.

A firefighter with the state fire service, said the fire started from the second floor of the three-storey building, adding that more than three fire trucks were deployed in the scene.

“It is a three-storey shopping plaza where they sell female fashion items like bags, shoes and other accessories. The fire started from the second floor and was caused by an electrical surge. We were able to curtail the spread quickly. Firemen from the Onikan, Sari Iganmu and Alausa stations responded with 10,000 litres of water each.”

Michael Akindele, the General Manager of LASEMA, said there was no casualty in the incident, adding that some traders were able to save their wares. “No life was lost and there were no injuries. Traders in areas not affected moved out their goods; everything is under control,” he added.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:   Christmas: Lagos okays sale of Lake Rice

Fire-guts-shopping-mall-bank-in-Lagos

In the Ikeja incident, it was gathered that the server room of Skye Bank caught fire around 10.50am this morning though the prompt response of firemen from the Ikeja fire station was said to have prevented the fire from escalating.

A correspondent was told by a firefighter that the fire was also caused by a power surge.

“They called the fire service on time and that was what saved the day. The fire started from their internet server room. There was a spark, which started a fire. But we were able to stand with them till the problem was fixed and banking operation resumed without much delay,” he added.

Amodu Shakiru, the Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Fire Service, called for increased vigilance among residents.

“Both fire were caused by electrical upsurge and that is why we always tell people to be cautious. You can use the back of your hand to feel the heat of your electrical gadget. When it is hot, you should know it is a potential hazard,” Shakiru said

READ ALSO: Fire kills family of 7 in Lagos after neighbours refused to help (Photos)

Kindly share this story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.