Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has stated that he would not join the league of other Nigerians attacking President Muhammadu Buhari for reportedly saying that age might limit his performance.
Buhari, had On Monday evening, while addressing the Nigerian community at the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg, South Africa, said “I wish I became Head of State when I was a governor. Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do.”
The statement has attracted nationwide criticisms from angry Nigerians, who have been calling on the president to take the exit door if he’s not capable of facing the heat of governance.
Meanwhile, the presidency had in a statement issued on Wednesday night stated that Buhari was quoted out of context.
The statement described the Daura-born ex-warlord as an ‘old wine whose taste gets better with age.’
READ ALSO: I’m one man army against APC – Fayose
However, Fayose who had earlier called for the president’s disqualification over issue bothering on age, said Nigerians should pray for the new leader instead of attacking him.
“No, no, we cannot comment on that, but all that we owe the President is to pray for him to be able to do the demands of his office,” the governor’s spokesman, Mr. Lere Olayinka said yesterday.
“Election is gone, and all that was done in the past is past and the time for election campaign is gone,” he added.
READ ALSO: Governor Fayose wants to help President Buhari nominate Minister