Foreign-owned shops looted as xenophobic attacks continues in South Africa

Shops owned by foreigners have been looted and attacked overnight in eastern Johannesburg as the barbaric xenophobic attacks continues, according to BBC.

Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the looters, while about 200 foreign nationals reportedly took refuge at a police station.

The attack came hours after thousands took part in a rally against xenophobia in the coastal city of Durban.

A crowd began looting foreign-owned shops in east Johannesburg on Thursday night, and a car, and a building believed to house foreigners, were set on fire.

On Friday, police dispersed a group of foreign nationals in Johannesburg who had armed themselves with machetes for protection, Reuters news agency reported.

Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has been accused of fuelling the attacks by saying that foreigners should “go back to their countries”. However, he said that his comments had been distorted.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:   Man Takes Selfie In Eye Of Deadly Boomslang Snake In South Africa [See Photos]

“No amount of frustration or anger can justify the attacks on foreign nationals and the looting of their shops,” President Jacob Zuma told parliament on Thursday.

Anti-foreigner violence in recent weeks has killed at least five people.

At least 62 people died in xenophobic attacks in the country in 2008.

Many jobless South Africans accuse foreigners of taking jobs in a country where the unemployment rate is 24%.

Many South Africans say they are embarrassed by the attacks on foreigners and hope they will end soon.

Culled from: BBC

See also: South African Rapper AKA, Ashamed of his South African Passport

Kindly share this story

Similar Posts

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.