At least four people were reportedly killed after an attack on a popular tourist resort on the outskirts of Mali’s capital, Bamako, according to officials, but dozens of guests were rescued.
Al Jazeera reported that some armed men stormed the luxury Le Campement Kangaba complex near Dougourakoro on Sunday, attacking a resort frequented by top officials and foreign residents.
Dozens of people were taken hostage during the attack on Sunday night but were released on Monday after security services stormed the complex near the Malian capital of Bamako.
Malian troops and soldiers from France’s Bakhane counterterrorist force headed to the scene. Local residents reported hearing shots fired while smoke billowed into the air.
Mali’s Security Minister, Salif Traore said late on Sunday that at least four attackers were killed by security forces.
“We have recovered the bodies of two attackers who were killed,” Traore told journalists, adding that they were “searching for the bodies of two others”, without specifying if any more were on the run.
“At first we thought they were armed bandits but we know how armed bandits operate. They don’t hold territory, so now we think it is a terrorist attack,” Traore had earlier told reporters outside the entrance to the resort, part of which was on fire.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.