Buhari to end amnesty programme in 2018 – Boroh

Paul Boroh

Paul Boroh

The Coordinator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, has revealed that the President Buhari-led federal government has embarked on an exit strategy to stop the amnesty programme within the next two years.

Speaking on Tuesday in Abuja during a summit with the theme: “Niger Delta Way Forward: From Stabilisation to Sustainable Development,” the Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta and Coordinator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, Paul Boroh, has said that the Federal Government has embarked on an exit strategy to stop the amnesty programme ‘within the next two years.’

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:   Buhari pledges to build Nigerian cities

At the event which was organised by stakeholders and a Non-Governmental Organisation, Partnership Initiative on the Niger Delta Foundation, Boroh also said the Amnesty Office had ‘relocated to the Niger Delta following the increasing attacks on oil pipelines to maintain stability.’

According to him, about 4,000 others will exit the programme, with the government saving about N3.5bn in stipends payment.

He said, “So far, 17,320 of the 30,000 beneficiaries have been trained and 3,232 have been empowered with starter packs to begin their own businesses.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:   Tinubu denies reports that he has been put under security watch by Buhari, he is committed to APC vision

“They are being prepared to exit the amnesty programme within the next two years. Subsequently, this year, about 4,000 others will leave, thereby saving the Federal Government about N3.5bn in stipends payment.”

School girl dies after getting electrocuted while charging phone in the bath
Man beats wife to death over adultery in Ebonyi state
loading...
Tags:, , ,    

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.